Hello my little Blogerino’s!
Before we get in to the excitement of crafts and wonder, I wanted to share with you some of my aims for this year and the direction of the blog. This year, I have three main life goals;
- Graduate from my Masters degree (with a good grade, I hope!)
- Get played on the radio again.
- Save enough money to go on a big holiday.
I have (many) more, but those are the main ones… but how do they apply to this blog?
Well, I want to save money and I’ve decided to do that by not buying any clothes for the next year.
Yes, you heard me people. No new clothes for 365 days.
There are many reasons I want to do this. I don’t spend too much on clothes (other than when it’s payday and there’s a Primark nearby), but I am inundated by what my boyfriend and I call Clothes Mountain (It haunts me; all those sleeves, all that cotton…). I’ve lost count of the bin bags full of clothes that have went to the charity shop and now it’s time to thin the heard once and for all.
(I’m also hoping that this will push me to shift my extra chub so that I can slip into my slinky party dresses again!)
And of course, I wouldn’t be a true millennial if I didn’t share my progress and all this excitement via social media. Ah, millennials…
So, these are the rules that I’ve set myself for the next year;
- I cannot buy any clothes for myself new, online or otherwise (unless, and only if, they are for a job interview or work requires me to).
- I can buy clothes from thrift stores/jumble sales.
- I can buy fabric to make my clothes.
- I can accept gifts from other people in the form of new clothes (but not outright ask for it. Otherwise it’s cheating).
- Replacement (i.e. necessary) shoes are allowed – but no skyscraper heels. Or crazy GoGo boots.
- And finally, the first rule about Fight Club is… no new clothes!
Think of it as a kind of modern Make Do and Mend 2017 manifesto.So get those crochet hooks and sewing machines out ladies and gentlemen – it’s going to be a wild ride.
Do you think you have what it takes to join me in my clothes-less adventure?
Let me know, maybe we can do this together!
Or maybe I’m just mad… who knows!?
Header Image courtesy of Annie Spratt via Unsplash